Monday, August 8, 2022

Sewing for a Wedding

Meg and Ben got engaged in Oct 2021, and me and my mom didn't waste much time starting to think about a dress for her. The prom dress sewing projects were such a hit, we thought it would be great to offer to make a custom-made dress for Meg (to be clear, when I say "we" I really mean 99% my mom).

Over thanksgiving weekend, Meg, Sally and I made a quick stop at David's. The quality of the dresses were poor, but it gave Meg a chance to try on a number of styles to see what she wanted. Guess what we discovered? She basically wanted the same kind of dress as her purple prom dress: v-neck fitted bodice, A-line skirt, back buttons, some lace on the bodice. We also had some fun conversations about all of the different shades of "white," Meg being under the illusion that there was only one white.

One of the polyester dresses at David's. We can do much better
We went home and did a fitting on the prom dress, so it could serve as a fancy "muslin." 
My mom used a combination of the prom dress pattern and a vintage Vogue 8997, which has princess lines in the bodice.
The prom dress pattern
We also got out my wedding dress, which my mom made of silk dupioni with scallops along the top. The veils (both short and long) were in good condition, and Meg thought she'd like to use the shorter one. My mom decreased the volume on the veil and it was ready.
My dress and veil, which mom made for me
With the dressmaker
In December, mom and I talked about different fabric choices (Andy was amazed at how long we could talk about fabrics), looking at samples she'd received from Ginny's Fine Fabrics and Support Group in Rochester MN.
Design discussions
Mom ordered 6 yards of silk shantung and 3/4 yard of a really gorgeous lace, along with cotton organdy underlining and a bemberg lining, from Ginny's.
The silk and lace arrive
In January, we went shopping for basic leather flats. They're harder to find than you'd think.
Mom was spending many hours and making great progress on the dress. She'd periodically send photos of her progress, and would update me on all of the audiobooks she was consuming during the process.
In February I was able to see the dress in person. I was amazed at how lovely it was. And it has pockets, which every bride needs!
In early March, everyone made a trek to our house for a fitting. The purple prom dress "muslin" was such a good guide, that only a few fitting tweaks were needed.
Using the stairs as a make-shift hemming platform
Mom did a little altering for Sally, the maid of honor's dress, as well.
With the wedding dress done, my mom offered to help me make the up the pattern I'd picked out. Thank God- it was a complex pattern.
I'd ordered 3.5 yds of dupioni silk in a bright royal blue. Mom made a muslin, and needed to do several fittings and adjustments to get it to fit really well. 
Muslin of my jacket
Completed jacket. I love that neckline
She made a matching clutch for me, as well
When mom was done sewing my suit, she made a dress for herself to wear.

Next it was time to consider accessories. Maisy was going to be the ring bearer, so she needed a ring pillow and a tutu. I made these for her.
Maisy is a good sport about the tutu
I used some of the leftover dress shantung to make the ring pillow.
Harriet tries on the ring pillow
Meg and Ben wanted a chuppah for their ceremony, so with some trial and error we rigged up our camping awning with tulle, ivy, and sewed two vintage linen tablecloths that were Andy's grandma's together for the roof.
Trial run of the chuppah
The wedding, May 28th, was BEAUTIFUL. 
Wedding day chuppah assembly

Some improvising required, as it's a windy day
Chuppa is ready
Grandma does up the bride's dress
The trifecta!
Maisy with the wedding party
Action shot of Maisy coming down the aisle with the rings
It was a wonderful ceremony and celebration. Thanks to everyone who came and supported the lovely couple.
And a most heart-felt and sincere thank you to my mom, who through her love, talent, and investment of many hours, contributed significantly to a day that will be remembered by us all.


Postscript

Let's also remember the other beautiful gowns mom made for family weddings:
Tim & Elizabeth Poeschl, 2002
Mom made Meg's flower girl dress, as well
Reworking Grandma Margaret's dress for Sara, 2006
Willow & Marie, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment