Friday, November 16, 2018

Running Tutu

For some inexplicable reason, I wanted a running tutu. I had a 10K race coming up, so I decided to make one. I searched the web, and there are two major variants- one version involved long piece of tulle gathered into a skirt, and the other version used numerous strips of narrow (4-6") tulle tied to a waistband. While the narrow strips version was designed so no sewing was required, it looked like it could quickly become a tangled nightmare. I opted for the sewn gathered version.

I wanted to make a maroon and gold tutu, the school colors for my alma mater, the U of M, since we also go to sporting events there and I could envision wearing it to some of those, as well.

I found both maroon and gold tulle at Joann Fabrics for just $0.79 per yard, and I bought 5 yards of each (60" wide), for a total of about $8 (this could make two tutus, based on how I cut it). I had some 1 1/4" wide ribbon for the waistband at home. I cut both pieces of tulle down the middle lengthwise, for pieces 30" wide by 5 yards, then folded them lengthwise, and sewed a gathering stitch along the fold. I then attached the gathered tulle to the ribbon, sewing along the folded edge of tulle, the maroon just on top of the gold. The 5 yards makes for a very full tutu. I could probably have done well with 4 yards.

I wore the tutu to my 10K race, the Chocoholic Frolic:
I also wore it to a MN Gopher football game, with friends, over my winter coat. The game was SO COLD, in true Minnesota fashion, that you can barely see it below our blanket:

I wore it for my last leg of the 2019 Ragnar WI Trail:

No comments:

Post a Comment