Sunday, January 12, 2020

Homemade Low-Sugar Jam

My husband likes to have jam about 3 times per month. We'll buy a fairly expensive jar of low-sugar jam (it always seems to cost more than standard jam) and when he grabs it about 2 weeks since he's last used it it's moldy and he throws it out. It occurs to me part of the challenge is that low-sugar versions don't keep as long.

I decided to make my own, and store it in fairly small batches. We don't have access to a lot of good fresh fruit, especially in January, so I used frozen whole blueberries, letting them thaw a bit first.

I used Ball low-sugar pectin in a jar. The cost was quite reasonable.

 It has recipes on the pull-out label, and I doubled the recipe, so I started with 4 C. of blueberries. For liquid, I added 2/3 C of cranberry juice which I had on hand, and the lemon juice as called for, plus 3 Tbsp of the pectin.

 I brought the mixture to a boil and stirred and boiled for a while.
Before adding sugar
Then I added 1/2 C of sugar (half of what is recommended for the low-sugar recipe) and continued to boil for a minute. It thickened up nicely.
After adding sugar and boiling
I let it cool a bit, then scooped it into 8 oz jars, not quite to the top. We have a water bath canner, but I'm going to freeze these rather than can them since it's a fairly small amount. I tasted it, and it tastes quite good- the blueberry flavor really comes through.
Ready to eat

No comments:

Post a Comment