Sunday, November 15, 2020

Modifying Pants Pattern and Sewing Extra-Long Pants

 Andy wanted some new sweat pants to relax in after work, but we were having a hard time finding extra-tall pants that were not also very big around (2X-3X), so I decided to make him some. I bought cotton sweatshirt fleece at SR Harris and prewashed it.

I made a pattern by starting with a commercial lounge pants pattern and adding in a lot of length in both the leg and crotch length. 

Once adjusting the commercial pattern, I traced new patterns onto new tissue paper.

The finished pattern is ridiculously long, but will lose length with the waistband and bottom hems

They came together pretty fast. I used two rows of 3/4" elastic at the waist, and of course included pockets.

For a second pair, I shortened the waist by 1" front and back, and took in the sides a bit to lower thigh. I made them in a mi-weight French terry that will be comfortable even in warmer months.

No comments:

Post a Comment