Thursday, January 28, 2021

Best Carrot Cake in the World

 My mom made this carrot cake often as we were growing up.

The Best Carrot Cake in the World

Note: I've made this with the specified dates many times, and it's good. I always find that the rest of the package of dates sits around for a while until I ultimately toss them out, so consider substituting raisins for the dates- you'll either have them on hand or use the raisins in more recipes. 

  • 2 c flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1 1/2 c oil (I use canola)
  • 2 c sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 c chopped dates (or raisins- see note)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 4 eggs, room temp
  • 3 c shredded carrots (about 6-8 whole carrots, depending on their size)
  • 1 c shredded coconut
  • 1/2 c chopped nuts (I usually go for walnuts)
Preheat oven to 350. Grease a 9x13 pan. Mix flour, salt, soda and cinnamon. Beat oil and sugar in a separate mixing bowl. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each. Add vanilla, then dry ingredients, blend. Stir in carrots, dates/raisins and nuts. Bake 1 hour. When completely cool, frost.

Frosting

  • 1/2 c (1 stick) butter, softened
  • 3 oz cream cheese, softened (note: I buy an 8 oz package and use half, or 4 oz)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 c powdered sugar
  • chopped nuts (I omit this)
Cream the butter and cream cheese together. Add sugar and vanilla, beat until fluffy.



My mom wrote out the recipe for me long ago

No comments:

Post a Comment