Friday, April 2, 2021

Restoring (Beerdazzling?) a Bird Feeder


We've had this old wooden bird feeder for a number of years and it's showing its age. The coat of paint I applied a few years ago was peeling. I was going to repaint it and hang it out, but Andy said he didn't just want a painted feeder- couldn't I make it more fun?
I brainstormed options, and decided I liked the look of beer bottle caps. Our household consumes just a few bottles of beer a year (we're more whisky and wine), so I searched on Ebay and bought somebody's old, used collection of beer caps for a few dollars (honestly- you can find almost anything on Ebay.) After repainting, I tried gluing the caps on as is, but there wasn't enough surface area between the cap rim and the bird feeder, so I flattened the caps with a rubber mallet and used silicone glue to adhere them.

The finishing touch was adding a cast iron bottle opener I picked up at Second Hand Rose in Beaver Bay, MN.

No comments:

Post a Comment