Monday, April 8, 2024

Mug Cakes

I've been resisting the mug cake idea because I think a microwaved cake can't be as good as a baked one. Instead, I've been playing with small batch baked cakes. Recently, a coworker mentioned she liked making mug cakes in the microwave, so I tried this recipe. While a bit "doughy" as a result of cooking in the microwave, it was still pretty satisfying. I put a spoonful of Nutella in each before baking, which was also good.

Next I tried this lemon version, doubling the recipe to make two, and baking them instead of using the microwave. Here is the doubled version:

Baked lemon mug (ramekin) cakes

Makes 2

  • 1/2 c flour
  • 1/4 c sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3 Tbsp oil
  • 1/4 c milk
  • zest from a lemon
  • 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
Mix ingredients. Pour into greased 6 oz ramekins. Bake at 350 for 15-20 min (I baked at 325 for 23 min and they were still a bit underdone in the centers-bake at 350 next time).

Lemon

Pumpkin Mug Cakes


4 tbsp all purpose flour
2 tbsp white granulated sugar
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp nutmeg
pinch of ground clove
¼ tsp ground ginger
pinch salt
2 tbsp pumpkin puree
½ tsp vanilla extract
3 tbsp milk


Note: The original instructions called for this to be one serving, cooked in a 12 oz mug. I doubled the recipe and opted to cook them in four 6 oz ramekins. Instead of cooking them in the microwave, I baked at 350 for about 22 min.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Stir in the milk, pumpkin puree, and vanilla. Mix well.
Microwave on high for 2 minutes (or bake- see note). Top with whipped cream and sprinkle with cinnamon if desired.
Pumpkin

No comments:

Post a Comment