Saturday, November 23, 2019

Making Lefse

We eat store-bought lefse each holiday season, and I've been wanting to try making some for a long time. My friend Kristine came over, and we had a lot of fun cooking lefse while drinking mimosas.
We followed the recipe and instructions here. While the recipe indicated that 2 to 2.5 lbs of potatoes would yield 4 cups of riced potatoes, I found that 2.5 lbs yielded 6 cups, so I modified the recipe to make 1.5 times (Note- in 2022, 2.5 lbs of potatoes was close to 4 cups and I followed the recipe as stated). As instructed, I boiled (about 20 min) and riced the potatoes the night before, added the butter and chilled them overnight, then added the rest of the ingredients the next day. (In 2022 it was so cold on the porch I was able to chill the potatoes in about 30 min and proceed on the same evening.)
Lefse dough prior to kneading
 We pattied the dough as instructed, but since we were going to be using a smaller electric griddle rather than a lefse iron, we portioned the dough in 1/4 C portions (rather than 1/3 C in the instructions).
Patties portioned at 1/4 C each
We used a pastry cloth (laid out on a silpat mat to prevent sliding around) to roll out the dough with a rolling pin. You can see our lefse wasn't perfectly round, but we didn't care since it would still taste great. You need a lot of flour for this. The large frosting spatula is a great stand-in for a lefse stick.
My electric griddle's highest temp is 400 degrees, whereas lefse is to be cooked at up to 500, so the lefse took a bit longer to cook on the griddle than was indicated in the instructions- about 1.5-2 minutes per side. I like it a little more brown than the store bought variety.
It took a while to get them all cooked, but we could be a bit faster next time now that we know what we're doing!
We ate them warm with just butter- delicious! I froze the rest for Christmas dinner.

These are really yummy- I'll definitely plan to make them again.

1 comment: