Thursday, December 19, 2019

Tasty Popcorn

We like good stove-top popped popcorn- it tastes MUCH better than the microwave bag stuff that has a chemical taste. I learned how to make good popcorn with this video.

We stick with yellow kernels. I've tried white (bland and small) and this heirloom variety, but didn't like it as much as the regular yellow.
In addition to enjoying regular stove-top popcorn regularly, I occasionally make flavored popcorns. We've had a lot of fun with this cookbook by Carol Beckerman.
By Carol Beckerman
What I like about this cookbook is many of the flavors are pretty easy to put together. If I'm going to add flavors, I often use our old air popper- it can pump out large portions of popcorn easily- the book often calls for 15 cups popped (1/2 C of kernels). Many of the flavors involve melting butter, adding various spices or flavors to the melted butter, stirring it into the popped corn, then baking on two baking sheets for about 15 min.
Making Italian popcorn

Finished Italian-flavored corn
The chili and lime popcorn is one of our favorites from this book.

One of my daughter's favorites, from another source, is this birthday cake batter popcorn. I usually add more popcorn than the stated 6 cups so it's not quite so heavy.


Birthday Cake Batter Popcorn
Ingredients
  • 1-½ cup Melted Almond Bark Or White Chocolate
  • ¼ cups Vegetable Shortening
  • 1-½ cup White Or Yellow Cake Mix
  • 6 cups Popcorn (popped)
Preparation Instructions
Melt the almond bark/chocolate in the microwave. I put it in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each 30 seconds until it is fully melted.
Add the vegetable shortening to the almond bark/chocolate and stir until it is melted. I usually don’t have to put it back in the microwave to completely melt it but you can if you have to.
Then add the cake mix to the almond bark/chocolate.
Pour the coating onto the popcorn and coat evenly. I use 2 spoons and toss it almost like a salad.
Pour the popcorn out onto cookie sheets to cool/harden. 

No comments:

Post a Comment