Saturday, June 10, 2023

Washtub Herb Garden

This little project was inspired by our friend Dawn's use of the fresh tarragon she grows in a chicken dinner she served us, plus a little Pinterest inspiration.

I love the look of vintage galvanized washtubs. It turns out a lot of other people do too, as they seem to cost more than you'd think. I found one on Facebook Marketplace for $75. The washtub itself was in pretty good shape, although it took me a while to scrub it. 

Before scrubbing

After scrubbing

The wheels had completely degraded down to just the metal stems, so I ordered replacement wheels and hammered them in (Amazon, $14).

These "wheels" needed replacing
I lined the bottom with an old piece of fabric to prevent the dirt from falling out of the drainage hole, then filled it with Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Mix ($19). I bought five starter plants from Highland Nursery ($23): 
  • Rosemary (ARP variety)
  • Thyme (English miniature)
  • Greek oregano
  • Curled parsley
  • French tarragon
Near end-of-season

No comments:

Post a Comment