Saturday, December 23, 2023

Burnt Peanuts

As I was growing up, whenever we visited my grandma Nellie and grandpa Jim, my first stop would be the purple slag glass chicken candy dish in their dining room. It was always filled with some variation of Brach's candy, most commonly spiced gum drops, jelly beans, candy corn or burnt peanuts. It was a sad day when I found the contents were circus peanuts (these candies are an abomination- texture of Styrofoam, shaped like a bloated peanut, colored pastel orange and tasting like artificial banana). When grandma died there was really only one thing I wanted- that purple chicken. I figured EVERYONE would want the purple chicken because of all the good memories so I was overjoyed to learn I could have it.

Even though the burnt peanuts were unnaturally red and a bit waxy, I loved them. Several years ago I started making them at home during the holidays in memory of grandma Nellie. The homemade ones are highly superior (almost addictive) to what you can purchase, and easy to make.

Burnt Peanuts

Note: many recipes include red food coloring as an option. I always omit, as there are health concerns with food coloring and these get a nice umber color on their own. The peanuts are inexpensive to buy at Fleet Farm

16 oz raw spanish peanuts (no substitutes)

1 c sugar

1/2 c water

1/2 tsp (or a bit more to taste) salt

In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, salt and water. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stir in peanuts. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 12 minutes or until peanuts are coated and no syrup remains. Spread peanuts into an ungreased 15x10x1-in. baking pan and separate them with a fork. Bake at 300° for 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.



No comments:

Post a Comment