Monday, August 31, 2026

Restoring a Carbon Steel Wok

A few years ago I gave Meg and Ben a carbon steel wok. It has a build up of carbon in the bottom and is ready for a "strip 'n season" (my girlfriends are convinced this would be a great business name if I ever decide to do this on the side- one even made a logo for it).

The carbon build up is only in the bottom of the pan, so I went with the localized oven cleaner spray, or "yellow cap treatment" in the cast iron enthusiast community (I know- nerdy).

First, I sprayed the built up areas with a good dose of the spray (use goggles and gloves) then wrapped it up in a garbage bag to soak for a couple of hours.

Before treating
After soaking, some of the carbon had bubbled up, but not all. I gave it a rinse and scrub (using PPE as always) and then gave it another spray and soak in the garbage bag (this time about 24 hours).
Carbon build-up is bubbling from cleaner
After the second soak, I gave it a good scrub with my chainmail and then Barkeeper's Friend. There were still a few small areas at the bottom, but not enough to warrant an additional cycle.
After stripping. The other color variations don't affect the surface 
I dried the wok well with a minute of heat on the range (but not so hot I couldn't handle it) then proceeded to rub it with a thin layer of Crisco and a clean rag. I put in in the oven at 400 upside down for one hour. After this seasoning, I anticipate it can be maintained with a quick wipe of oil. 
Surface is smoother with the seasoning

Now- to preventative maintenance:
  • Rinse/soak right after using, while it's still warm
  • Scrub well with an abrasive scrub pad (or even chainmail)
  • Dry with a bit of heat
  • Give it a light coat of oil on the inside before storing

No comments:

Post a Comment