Friday, May 29, 2020

Less Mess Deep Fat Frying and No-Splatter Bacon

I hardly ever fry something- not only because it's not healthy, but also because it makes the house stink for days and makes a mess of the kitchen. I set up a temporary fry station on a portable table in the garage, and it worked very well. I could fry the beignets from the mix we got in New Orleans, and the smell didn't permeate the house. My electric fondue pot maintains pretty even heat, and though it's a bit smaller, frying is fast enough that doing it in small batches still goes pretty quickly. Safety is paramount, so watch your cords and don't have animals or kids around.
Fry station set up in garage
 

Finished beignets

Oven-cooked bacon

Layer bacon on a sheet of parchment on a baking sheet. I cover with a second sheet to catch all splatter, but some could consider this optional. Bake at 400F until it's done the way you like it, around 18-24 minutes.


No comments:

Post a Comment